Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 20
This two-week unit develops student knowledge, understanding and skills for solving problems related to number and time concepts.
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2022 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
Students are provided opportunities to:
- solve problems by combining, separating and forming groups
- sequence and identify the duration of events using a range of methods
- read hour time on analog clocks
- explain and represent mathematical thinking in a variety of ways.
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole numbers – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Use the counting sequence of ones flexibly
- Recognise number patterns
- Connect counting and numerals to quantities
Combining and separating quantities – MAO-WM-01, MAE-CSQ-01, MAE-CSQ-02
- Model additive relations and compare quantities
- Identify part-whole relationships in numbers up to 10
Forming groups – MAO-WM-01, MAE-FG-01, MAE-FG-02
- Investigate and form equal groups by sharing
- Record grouping and sharing
Non-spatial measure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-NSM-01, MAE-NSM-02
- Time: Compare and order the duration of events using the language of time
- Tell time on the hour on analog and digital clocks