Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 19
This two-week unit develops student knowledge, understanding and skills with 2D shapes, 3D objects, volume, and internal volume (capacity).
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2022 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
Students are provided opportunities to:
- name, describe and represent 2D shapes
- explore familiar 3D objects by sorting, stacking, describing, and making representations
- recognise that flat surfaces of 3D objects can be named as 2D shapes
- measure and compare volume of various 3D objects
- measure and compare internal volume (capacity) of various 3D objects.
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole numbers – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Recognise number patterns
Two-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-2DS-01, MAE-2DS-02
- 2D shapes: Sort, describe and name familiar shapes
- 2D shapes: Represent shapes
Three-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-3DS-01, MAE-3DS-02
- 3D objects: Explore familiar three-dimensional objects
- Volume: Compare internal volume by filling and packing
- Volume: Compare volume by building