Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 14
This two-week unit develops student knowledge, understanding and skills of making and using equal groups.
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2021 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
Students are provided opportunities to:
- measure length by direct and indirect comparison
- identify and compare area and mass
- compare internal volume by filling and packing.
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole number – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Use the counting sequence of ones flexibly
- Recognise number patterns
- Connect counting and numerals to quantities
Geometric measure– MAO-WM-01, MAE-GM-01, MAE-GM-02, MAE-GM-03
- Length: Use direct and indirect comparisons to decide which is longer
Two-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-2DS-01, MAE-2DS-02
- Identify and compare area
Three-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-3DS-01, MAE-3DS-02
- Volume: Compare internal volume by filling and packing
- Volume: Compare volume by building
Non-spatial measure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-NSM-01, MAE-NSM-02
- Mass: Identify and compare mass using weight