Civics and citizenship
Our schools produce active and informed citizens through knowledge and understanding of Australian society - our institutions, values and heritage.
Civics and citizenship education builds students’ knowledge and understanding of the ways in which citizens can actively participate in Australia’s diverse and inclusive society. Students learn about the civic institutions and the processes through which decisions are made for the common good of the community and they also develop the skills and understandings that relate to the organisation of a harmonious democratic society.
Students are encouraged to develop skills such as participating in discussions, working cooperatively with others, negotiating issues and developing the ability to make decisions. These are the skills that will allow students to effectively participate in society and become responsible, informed and active citizens.
Civics and citizenship content is incorporated across all NSW syllabuses and includes:
- principles and concepts underpinning democracy
- rights and responsibilities of citizens
- global citizenship and the influence of global events in Australian democracy
- skills for active citizenship
- multiculturalism and diversity in Australian society
- environment and sustainability
- role of the media and democracy
- Civics and citizenship (DOCX 480KB) provides sample teaching and learning activities for Year 6 and Year 10 which align to the Civics and Citizenship Assessment Framework.
- NSW Parliament includes a range of educational programs including information about organising a visit to parliament.
- Federal parliamentary education office is designed for students and includes role play activities for Years 6 to 9.
- Australian electoral commission has a teacher resources section which includes a range of fact sheets and online professional learning on how to run an election.
- Museum of Australian Democracy provides immersive learning experiences for students and a range of resources for Years 5 to 12.
- Civics and citizenship education contains a range resources, information, activities and links for teachers, students and parents.
- Search Scootle and ABC Education for teaching and learning activities.