Early learning resources
Resources for teachers
The following resources provide educators with a range of suggestions and play based learning experiences that can be used to support children’s learning. Communication with families about their child’s learning at home and preschool is an important part of these resources.
Projects for learning
Early learning matters podcast
Early Learning Coordinator Jacqui Ward is joined by a number of colleagues who support department preschools where they unpack important early childhood concepts, theories and practice.
The episodes unpack important early childhood concepts, theories and practice while sharing experience and advice with educators listening.
Resources to support families
‘Learning outcomes are most likely to be achieved when early childhood educators work in partnership with families. Educators recognise that families are children’s first and most influential teachers’ (Early Years Learning Framework, page 13).
Continuity of learning is an important practice of the Early Years Learning Framework. It is especially important if children experience long absences from early childhood education or experience major changes in their life.
These resources may be used by preschool and early intervention educators:
- to support families’ understanding of early learning and how this can be promoted at home
- to provide continuity of learning for children who are experiencing a long absence from early childhood education by working with families to encourage learning through play at home.
Holistic teaching resources
- An integrated approach to planning and learning (DOCX 75.45 KB)
- This resource provides teachers with questions to reflect on as they consider how to create engaging and flexible learning environments across both face to face and learning from home settings.
- An integrated approach to evidence gathering (DOCX 81KB)
- This resource focuses on the opportunity to gather evidence from multiple sources during the blended learning phase of transitioning to preschool.
- Culturally responsive practice supporting Aboriginal families and children (DOCX 680KB)
- This resource will unpack how cultural competence relates to the Early Years Learning Framework and ESI curriculum. It will explore practical ways that teachers can promote engagement with Aboriginal families by providing a culturally responsive environment.
- Play based learning (PDF 923.64 KB)
- This resource provides information for families about play based learning at home.
The following resources can be used by educators to support families’ understanding of the five learning outcomes and encourage engagement in their child’s learning at home. The resources can also be provided to families when children experience an extended absence from preschool or early intervention.