Professional learning languages K-12
Start planning your professional learning journey.
Professional learning is available either on-demand as e-learning – in the catalogue, or at a specific time – on the calendar.
Professional learning modules supporting the teaching of languages.
On-demand professional learning catalogues
Languages K-6 professional learning catalogue
This calendar shows professional learning available on a specific date. Select the learning that interests you to find out more information including where the learning is taking place, the meeting structure and how to register.
Statewide staffrooms 7-12
In Week 4 and Week 7 of each term we offer statewide staff meetings with snapshots of professional learning to support language teachers 7-12. These are advertised via our statewide staffroom, and offered online through Microsoft Teams. If you're unable to attend the live sessions, you can access recordings of past meetings via our statewide staffroom. Previous sessions include:
- our top 10 favourite assessment tasks
- language learning games
- blended learning
- assessment for learning
- a walk around our website – accessing our support ("What if ...")
- making adjustments for students with disability
- assessment schedules for 7-10
- high potential and gifted education in languages
- creating cultures of thinking in your classroom
- HSC monitoring.
We support local networks with a range of professional learning opportunities.
You can enrol in courses via MyPL. To find your local network, visit language teacher networks or Primary Languages Networks on MS Teams.
About our professional learning
For Kindergarten to Year 12, where appropriate, professional learning courses and teaching and learning resources have been:
- aligned to NSW syllabuses and NESA’s K-6 curriculum requirements
- designed by a team of curriculum experts using evidence and data to meet the needs of NSW students and teachers
- designed to meet NSW Department of Education policies and priorities
- aligned to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- informed by the 3 key domains of the School Excellence Framework
- informed by the 5 elements of the High Impact Professional Learning model
- developed around the 8 themes of the What works best: 2020 update
- shaped by testing and feedback from NSW teachers, schools and other key stakeholders
- designed to incorporate practical strategies for immediate classroom use.