Interpreting and translations

Schools will assist parents who do not speak or understand English well, the deaf or hearing impaired and those with a speech impairment.

Detailed information on interpreting and translations is available in the Interpreting and translations guidelines (staff only) (PDF 313KB).

Term 1, 2022 interpreting services

Fully vaccinated essential non-school-based staff members and third-party providers may visit a school to support school operations (such as canteen or uniform shop), curriculum delivery and wellbeing, provided they follow the check in rules. However not all of the organisations that usually provide interpreting services are available at present. Please see the booking requirements for each of the individual organisations for more information.

Interpreting services

Online, onsite and telephone interpreters can be used by schools, parents or the community for meetings or interviews with a school or the Department of Education.

  • Interpreters are available for languages other than English, on-site (COVID restrictions permitting), online and by telephone.
  • Some Aboriginal language interpreters are available using telephone interpreters. See the telephone interpreting pages for more information.
  • Auslan interpreters are available for onsite or online meetings via video link for the deaf or hearing impaired.
  • The National Relay Service can assist a person who is deaf or has a speech impairment.

For advice on using interpreters in schools, view Working with interpreters in schools (30 mins 16 sec), developed by the Victorian Department of Education and Training. Please use Internet Explorer as your browser for a faster response.


Costs for interpreter services are generally met by the department for:

  • meetings about school enrolment, subject choice, student progress reports, attendance, welfare or behaviour issues
  • interviews with a year adviser, school counsellor, principal or Department of Education staff
  • P&C meetings, parent-teacher interviews, careers education, subject selection evenings and so on.

Interpreters are not funded by the department for events such as graduation ceremonies, awards ceremonies, school performances or school excursions - schools may choose to fund these themselves. Interpreters for international students must be funded by the school.


Visit Translated documents for important school information.

Schools should visit New translations if considering funding their own translation.

Return to top of page Back to top