Interpreting and translations

Schools will assist parents who do not speak or understand English well, the deaf or hearing impaired and those with a speech impairment.

Detailed information on interpreting and translations is available in the Interpreting and translations guidelines (staff only) (PDF 313 KB).

Term 4, 2023 interpreting services

Schools and early childhood education can invite visitors – including interpreters to their sites regardless of their vaccination status, in line with settings in the broader community. Please see the booking requirements for each of the individual organisations for more information.

Interpreting services

Online, onsite and telephone interpreters can be used by schools, parents or the community for meetings or interviews with a school or the Department of Education.

  • Depending on the location, on-site, online or telephone Interpreters are available for languages other than English.
  • Some Aboriginal language interpreters are available using telephone interpreters. See the telephone interpreting pages for more information.
  • Auslan interpreters are available for onsite or online meetings via video link for the deaf or hearing impaired. Please see the onsite interpreting or online interpreting pages for available providers.
  • The National Relay Service can assist a person who is deaf or has a speech impairment.

For advice on using interpreters in schools, view Working with interpreters in schools (30 mins 16 sec), developed by the Victorian Department of Education and Training.


Costs for interpreter services are generally met by the department for:

  • meetings about school enrolment, subject choice, student progress reports, attendance, welfare or behaviour issues
  • interviews with a year adviser, school counsellor, principal or Department of Education staff
  • P&C meetings, parent-teacher interviews, careers education, subject selection evenings and so on
  • parents, carers and community members to ring the school or local Department of Education office to ask for or provide information or advice, to give feedback, raise a concern or make a complaint.

Interpreters are not funded by the department for events such as graduation ceremonies, awards ceremonies, school performances or school excursions - schools may choose to fund these themselves.


Visit Translated documents for important school information.

Schools should visit New translations if considering funding their own translation.


  • DoE

Business Unit:

  • Educational Standards
  • Teaching, Learning and Student Wellbeing
Return to top of page Back to top