Consider the following questions when adapting or developing teaching and learning units.
- What key messages do you want students to take away?
- Why does this learning matter?
The following sample resource can be adapted by teachers to suit the individual needs of their students. Use these resources to plan and deliver PDHPE. They are suitable for the PDHPE K-10 syllabus (2018).
- review the influences on young people when it comes to vaping, with a focus on social media and media influence
- develop their understanding of the risks and short term effects of vapes (e-cigarettes)
- explore the idea that an activity may be 'safer' than another, but it doesn't mean that it is 'safe' – there are still risks
- understand there is nothing safe about vaping
- compare advertising and marketing strategies of e-cigarettes to those used for tobacco and other drugs
- critique the marketing strategies aimed at influencing young people’s attitudes, behaviour and perceptions of e-cigarettes
- use critical thinking skills to analyse data and collect evidence to challenge information presented to them about vaping within the community
- investigate the reasons for drug use including marketing, deceptive tactics, the creation of mystery and underground nature of vaping
- promote the positive impact to individuals and communities when people chose not to use e-cigarettes.