Lead Learner suite
The Lead Learner professional learning series supports educational leaders to develop and strengthen their expertise of evidence-based literacy and numeracy concepts in preparation for leading practice improvement in schools.
Who should participate?
Kindergarten to Year 6 school leaders or aspiring leaders
Mode of delivery
Self-paced online learning.
The Lead Learner professional learning series supports those leading literacy and numeracy improvement in schools. The series is designed to prepare leaders when building capability in teachers in specific literacy and numeracy focus areas.
The series is designed for individuals who have a deep understanding of their school's situational analysis and specific literacy and numeracy targets and improvement measures outlined in the Strategic Improvement Plan. The series supports leaders who are coordinating professional learning in school by ensuring they are well prepared when building capability in teachers in specific literacy or numeracy focus areas.
The professional learning is structured as follows:
Part 1: Introduction
The Introduction is the common component in the Lead Learner series of professional learning offerings and provides foundational learning required to understand:
- the purpose of the Lead Learner professional learning series;
- how the series aligns to key reforms across the department;
- the role of the teaching and learning cycle from a leadership perspective; and
- the key resources available to lead practice improvement in schools.
Note: The Part 1 Introduction is identical in each course - once completed, you do not need to complete it for subsequent courses.
Part 2: focused reading/numeracy knowledge development
Each selected focus area assists school leaders to develop knowledge and practice in a specific reading or numeracy focus area. This learning supports school leaders to:
- build understanding of evidence-based teaching strategies for literacy or numeracy improvement of all students throughout the teaching and learning cycle in the context of NSW syllabuses
- apply a leadership approach to trialling evidence-based teaching strategies in the classroom
- reflect on and evaluate strategies to improve student outcomes in literacy and numeracy
- access universal supports available to schools, including resources, assessment tools and further professional learning to plan for capacity building in others
Part 3: course evaluation
The two minute evaluation will be treated confidentially and used only for the purposes of evaluating the professional learning. Feedback will support future development of support and professional learning for school leaders.
Participants are required to complete the evaluation survey to complete this course.
Course list and registration details
New courses will be progressively made available throughout 2024.
- Assessment of reading (course code NR33842)
- Comprehension instruction (course code NR36891)
- Creating written texts (course code NR36892)
- Decodable texts (course code NR36893)
- Spelling (course code NR36890)
- Text selection (course code NR33843)
- Vocabulary for comprehension (course code NR33757)
- Word recognition (course code NR33838)
- Assessment of numeracy (course code NR36894)
- *New* Challenging mathematical tasks (course code NR36896)
- Exploring patterns (course code NR33839)
- Flexible additive thinking (course code NR33845)
- *New* Flexible multiplicative thinking (course code NR36895)
- How numbers and fractions work (course code NR33844)
- Quantifying collections (course code NR33840)