Improving reading and numeracy suite
We are updating these courses to align with new departmental priorities and new NSW syllabuses.
- Please complete courses by end Term 4, 2023 to avoid losing current progress OR
- wait until 2024 if you prefer to engage with refreshed content (no action required).
Note: If you are unable to complete a course by the time it is updated, current progress is reset to 0% (still enrolled).
This suite of online professional learning supports effective use of the reading and numeracy hub resources and guides, literacy and numeracy assessments and professional learning in the context of curriculum across learning areas.
It is designed to support teachers to:
understand a focus area and its contribution to students' overall reading or numeracy development
understand and implement evidence-based teaching strategies for reading or numeracy improvement throughout the teaching and learning cycle in the context of NSW syllabuses
access, adapt and implement universal resources to support effective teaching practice
Who should participate?
Kindergarten to Year 10 teachers
Mode of delivery
Each short course consists of two parts - an introductory piece and then focused illustrations of practice targeting specific focus areas in reading and numeracy. Teachers can select courses from the suite that align with identified school reading and numeracy focus areas and students' learning needs.
Part 1 (Introduction) provides the foundational learning required for effective engagement with the focused reading and numeracy learning that follows. The introduction builds understanding of:
- the reading and numeracy improvement context
- the universal resources
- the curriculum context
- leading and teaching for reading and numeracy improvement.
Note: The Part 1 Introduction is identical in each course - once completed, you do not need to complete it for subsequent courses.
Part 2 (Focused reading/numeracy learning) assists teachers to develop knowledge and practice in a specific reading or numeracy focus area. This learning supports teachers to:
- understand the focus area and its contribution to students' overall reading or numeracy development
- understand and implement evidence-based teaching strategies for reading or numeracy improvement throughout the teaching and learning cycle in the context of NSW syllabuses
- access, adapt and implement universal resources to support effective teaching practice
Course list and registration details