Effective Reading: phonics
This online professional learning provides K-2 teachers with an opportunity to explore the practical application of evidence based teaching of reading.
As a companion to the literature review 'Effective Reading Instruction in the Early Years of School' (2016), the focus is exploring how phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, comprehension and oral language are all necessary for effective reading instruction.
Who should participate?
The modules are designed for K-2 teachers.
Mode of delivery
Online learning modules.
This online course includes six modules:
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: The Big Six with Deslea Konza
- Module 3: Planning for learning
- Module 4: Quality Phonics Instruction
- Module 5: Text selection
- Module 6: Summary
Completing this course will help you to:
- reflect and implement evidence based reading practices, with an understanding of the necessary components of effective instruction
- plan, assess and differentiate effective systematic and explicit phonics instruction, within a reading program
- explore how systematic and explicit phonics instruction looks in the classroom and the resources needed for success.
Participants can register for Effective reading: Phonics through MyPL [Course code RG04902).
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leader, Professional Learning