Chemistry Year 11 and 12
The Chemistry Stage 6 Syllabus (2017) furthers student knowledge and understanding of the chemical world strand in K-10 science by focusing on chemical concepts and explaining the relationship between atoms and the macro world.
Chemistry visualises the dynamic world of atoms, chemical interactions and the structure, composition and reactions of and between elements, compounds and mixtures. The problem-solving nature of chemistry further develops students’ working scientifically skills by focusing on the exploration of models, analysis of theories and laws and an understanding of their interconnectedness. The discovery and synthesis of new compounds and materials and their properties, structures, interactions and related applications is explored through empirical investigations, modelling, chemical analysis and chemical synthesis.
Students who study chemistry, investigate real-world problems and derive relationships between variables. They are required to engage in analysing and representing data, solve mathematical problems and develop and use models to represent chemicals and reactions. Chemistry is a discipline that utilises innovative and creative thinking to address new challenges, such as sustainability, monitoring of industrial processes, energy needs and the creation of new materials.
The study of chemistry provides the foundation knowledge and skills required to support participation in a range of careers and post-school studies in a range of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and health science fields.
The following support materials may be adapted by teachers to meet the individual needs of their schools.
Visit Chemistry Stage 6 Syllabus (2017) for additional information.
Scope and sequence resources
Module resources Year 11
- Module 1 Atomic structure and mass unit plan (docx 51.15 KB)
- Module 1 assessment task (docx 45.82 KB)
- Module 2 Gas laws unit plan (docx 66.22 KB)
- Module 2 depth study (docx 73.61 KB)
- Module 3 Chemical reactions unit plan (docx 52.66 KB)
- Module 4 Entropy and Gibbs energy unit plan (docx 80.48 KB)
- Year 11 assessment schedule (docx 43.02 KB)
- Module 1 guide (docx 1.33 MB)
- Module 2 guide (docx 457.21 KB)
- Module 3 guide (docx 1.07 MB)
- Module 4 guide (docx 5.38 MB)
Module resources for Year 12
- Module 5 guide (docx 106.75 KB)
- Module 5 Solution equilibria unit plan (docx 48.92 KB)
- Module 6 guide (docx 560.36 KB)
- Module 6 Acid base analysis unit plan (docx 50.12 KB)
- Module 7 guide (docx 678.82 KB)
- Module 8 guide (docx 447.09 KB)
- Module 8 case studies depth study (docx 54.1 KB)
- Module 8 analysis of organic substances (docx 52.07 KB)
- Module 8 sample spectral data (docx 391.38 KB)
- Year 12 modules Problem set (docx 4.69 MB)
- Year 12 assessment schedule (docx 43.37 KB)
- Chemistry resource links (docx 74.85 KB)
- Evaluating scientific data Stage 4 to 6 (docx 253.85 KB)
- Evaluating scientific investigations abridged (docx 69.33 KB)
- Indigenous chemistry resources (docx 52.04 KB)
- Indigenous perspectives (docx 55.88 KB)
- Inspired scientific thinking (docx 43.94 KB)
- Investigation planning sheet (docx 43.33 KB)
- Risk analysis table (docx 44.32 KB)
- Self assessment strategy met not met I noticed (docx 44.67 KB)
- Student reflection science investigation (docx 148.27 KB)
- Working scientifically skills checklist (docx 45.0 KB)
The following websites may be useful in the teaching of chemistry.
- WebElements explores the chemical elements through the periodic table.
- ANSTO provides educational and syllabus focussed resources, posters, scientist profiles and more.
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Science Chemistry Stage 6 Syllabus© NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2021.