Year 7 – unit 4 – additive thinking
A 12-lesson unit for Year 7 with resources.
This program of learning addresses content from the focus areas of Computation with integers, Fractions, decimals and percentages, and Algebraic techniques. The lessons and sequences in this program of learning are designed to allow students to explore addition and subtraction of integers, fractions, and algebraic terms. A variety of visual representations are developed as tools that students can rely on within this unit and beyond.
Lesson 1 – banking troubles
Lesson 2 – bonuses and penalties
Lesson 3 – addition of integers using vectors
Lesson 4 – subtraction of integers using vectors
- Subtraction of integers using vectors (DOCX 240 KB)
- Subtraction of integers using vectors (DOCX 694 KB)
Lesson 5 – same same
Lesson 6 – why fractions with different denominators don’t align
Lesson 7 – seeing double
Lesson 8 – how to deal with different denominators
- How to deal with different denominators (DOCX 184 KB)
- How to deal with different denominators (PPTX 868 KB)
Lesson 9 – which numbers go here?
- Which numbers go here? (DOCX 328 KB)
- Grid algebra ‘1 to 24 grid (no negatives)’ (ZIP 5.9 KB)
- Grid algebra ‘Introducing letters’ (ZIP 1.4 KB)