Excursions and road safety
School excursions are a great opportunity for students to practise safe behaviours in real life environments and reinforce the key road safety messages.
Excursion policy and procedures
Excursions are defined by the department's Excursion Policy.
- structured learning experiences
- determined by the principal
- managed by the school, conducted on or external to the school site.
Road safety education considerations when planning a school excursion, refer to the:
- Department's excursion planning and management (section 4, Travel)
- Variation of routine - excursions
- approval process, checklists and forms can be located
- scroll down to Critical requirements for transport information
- Duty of care and behaviour management (nsw.gov.au)
- scroll down to About child restraints in motor vehicles, Buses with seat belts, and excursions
- Transport for NSW's school travel information for Opal cards and group bookings
Risk management for road safety
Before approving any excursion, principals need to ensure that staff organising excursions have completed a satisfactory risk management plan. (section 3.1)
Sample consent forms
These sample forms are for schools to use and localise to meet the needs of their school community
- Student as driver parent consent form (DOCX 41.96 KB)
- Student as passenger parent consent form (DOCX 39.75 KB)
- Parent/staff use of private vehicle consent form (DOCX 70KB)
- Who can use their motor vehicle for department activities
- staff using their own motor vehicles