Who can assist with road safety on and around schools?
Department of Education
- School Infrastructure NSW (SINSW) Assets Management Units (staff only)
- Sustainable School Grants (SINSW) Funding is available to assist schools enhance sustainable practices such as active travel to and from school
- Risk Management Unit Work Health and Safety Consultants (staff only)
- Incident Report and Support Hotline - Health and Safety
- Your local Road Safety Education Officer
- Legal services - Duty of care and behaviour management and Supervision advice (staff only)
- Covid advice for Principals - Travelling to school safely - Managing return to school (staff only)
TfNSW - Managing safety around schools
State and local government agencies are responsible for managing road safety issues around schools
Principals can contact Transport for NSW, NSW police or local councils for advice about road safety measures around schools.
Schools are not responsible for managing traffic around schools. eg kiss and drop zones, no parking, bus zones.
Resources available to schools are:
- School Crossing Supervisors
- Transport for NSW for information and applications about the program
- advice and support for safe crossings outside of schools by the department
- Student code of conduct on buses
- Drop-off and pick-up initiative to provide parents and carers with a safe environment to drop off and collect their children from school by car.
- programs that promote safe behaviours and help reduce crashes in Aboriginal communities
- animations to share with the school community to explain:
- children's crossings
- Pedestrian crossings on local roads
- school zones operation
- school bus stops