Parents and carers are responsible for their child's safety when travelling to and from school. Schools take over responsibility and duty of care for the student once they enter the school premises.
Safe car travel advice
Primary schools can support their parents and carers with advice about:
- Travelling safely to and from school by car
- Benefits of not using a car to travel to and from school
- Download information sheet Drive and safe car travel (PDF 962.37KB) Translations available in 36 languages
- Excursions and road safety
Parents and staff transporting students between 4 and 7 years of age in their own private vehicle must be restrained in approved child restraints or boosters seats that are properly fitted to the vehicle and adjusted to fit the child’s body correctly.
By law, all passengers are required to wear a seatbelt in a taxi.
- Department's legal advice Duty of care and behaviour management About child restraints in motor vehicles, (staff only - scroll down)
- Safety Town - families information about child car seats laws, in and out of the car safely
- department’s Excursion Policy Implementation Procedures (section 9 Transport, pp 15-16)
- Transport for NSW child car seats