What to do when there are problems

You may run into problems during your apprenticeship, such as losing your job, having issues with your employer or not being happy with the training. Here’s advice on what you can do.

What if you're not getting along with your employer?

If your relationship with your employer is not going well, work can be very challenging.

The first thing you should do if you're unhappy with a work situation is to try and discuss the problem with your employer.

Our Training Services NSW officers can help you talk to your employer by offering confidential advice and support.

We can:

  • provide information about your options,
  • suggest how to approach your employer
  • if you feel you need further support, we can attend a meeting with your employer to talk about your situation.

If none of these approaches work, we can support you to figure out what to do next.

You may need to change your employer if:

  • There’s a downturn in available work
  • Your employer is unable to train you in all elements of your training plan
  • Your employer is unable to perform workplace assessments for the successful completion of your qualification
  • You’re not being given an opportunity by your employer to attend training delivered by your training organisation
  • Your employer is not giving you the opportunity to undertake the work-based or self-paced learning that has been set by your training organisation
  • Your probationary period has elapsed and you or your employer or both of you have decided to cancel your apprenticeship or traineeship as it’s not working out.

How do you transfer your apprenticeship or traineeship to a new employer?

If either you or your employer wants to transfer your apprenticeship or traineeship to a new employer, you’ll both need to sign an Application to Transfer form and lodge it with Training Services NSW.

A transfer can only occur if it’s by mutual agreement with your current employer and your new employer.

You will also need to contact your current employer’s Apprenticeship Network Provider to advise them that you have a new employer.

When you transfer your training contract all the terms, conditions, rights, and obligations of your original employer are transferred to your new employer. When the transfer has been approved everyone involved will be notified.

What do you do if you've lost your job?

If you lose your job, the Continuing Apprentice Placement Service (CAPs) can help.

CAPs is a free job matching service that helps apprentices in skills shortage occupations find a new employer.

Once you’ve signed up for CAPs, they will contact you to confirm your details and talk about what you’re after from training and employment.. After you’re registered, an employer will be able to search for information about you, such as your trade, experience and your preferred work location.

You should also widen your search and look for work on online job sites, through job matching agencies or by approaching employers directly.

Make sure you continue your formal training while you're temporarily unemployed!

Job search engines






What if you're offered a new job in another location?

If you’re offered a new role in a skills shortage occupation, you may be entitled to financial assistance to help you relocate to or from a regional area to continue your apprenticeship or traineeship.

Discover if you’re eligible: Relocation Allowance Application Form.

You’ll need to submit your relocation expense claim within three months of commencing work with your new employer.

How can a Group Training Organisation help you?

Group Training Organisations (GTOs) directly employ apprentices and trainees and then place them with a host employer.

They are responsible for ensuring you have consistent employment and training that will lead to the completion of your training contract and qualification.

You’ll benefit from working for a GTO if you would like to try out a range of host employers over the course of your apprenticeship or traineeship. They provide opportunities for employers who can’t support an apprentice or trainee for the full term of their training contract.

Explore your options.

Unemployment benefits

While you’re looking for a new job, you may be entitled to unemployment benefits. You’ll also need to be registered with Centrelink to receive help from job search agencies and support organisations.

Check your eligibility for Centrelink benefits.

Changing training organisations

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) teach you the essential skills and knowledge relevant to the line of work you wish to enter.

They offer nationally recognised training and accredited VET qualifications to equip you with everything you need to succeed in your industry.

RTOs are required to uphold a certain standard by maintaining engagement with industry so the skills you’re taught are of a high quality and relevant to the needs of your future employers.

What if you're not happy with your formal training?

If you feel you're not getting the right training from your training organisation, firstly check your training plan - it tells you what you should be learning, in what timeframe, where, and how.

Next, talk to your trainer or your training organisation’s support staff. You can use your training plan as an official document to refer to during your discussion.

If you're still not convinced, talk to your workplace supervisor and ask for their advice.

We can also intervene on your behalf. Call your nearest Training Services NSW Centre on 13 28 11 and we'll get back to you to discuss your situation confidentially.

What if your training organisation goes out of business?

Sometimes training organisations close while still delivering courses.

If your training organisation does close down, you'll need to find a new provider so you can complete your studies.

Make sure you collect a Statement of Attainment from your closing training organisation so you have proof of your completed units of competency. This will mean you can easily transfer to your new training organisation.

If you’re not able to access this statement from your training organisation, you can contact the ASQA and complete an online form to request a copy of your student records.

Your Apprenticeship Network Provider can help you and your employer find another training organisation.

You can also contact your nearest Training Services NSW centre or ring 13 28 11.


  • Skills
  • VET


  • VET

Business Unit:

  • Training Services NSW
Return to top of page Back to top