I want to complete my training early
It is possible to complete all your training ahead of schedule. This is called competency based completion (previously called "early completion").
What does 'completing' involve?
Competency based completion refers to a competency (a skill) based assessment of your apprenticeship or traineeship which allows you to receive your Certificate of Proficiency early. It requires:
- successful completion of the formal part of your training. The RTO then awards you a Qualification. (This document names the certificate or diploma, and the level and the vocation you have achieved, e.g. a Certificate III in Engineering - Fabrication Trade or a Diploma in Polymer Technology)
- your employer confirming that you have successfully completed training in the workplace and are proficient in the apprenticeship or traineeship.
Training Services NSW will then award you a Certificate of Proficiency.
Visit our Accreditation pages for more information.
Conditions for competency based or early completion
- Successful completion of the formal part of your training. The RTO will award you a Qualification. This document will name the certificate or diploma, the level and the vocation, e.g. a Certificate III in Engineering - Fabrication Trade or a Diploma in Polymer Technology.
- Your employer confirms that you have successfully completed training in the workplace and are proficient in the apprenticeship or traineeship.
- Both you and your employer agree to the early completion. If there is no agreement the Training Services NSW will independently review the situation.
Good reasons to request competency based or early completion
- You will become a qualified employee sooner.
- You can take on more responsibility at work, including supervising other apprentices and trainees.
- You will have improved promotion prospects.
How to apply
- Complete a Request for Competency Based Completion. Download the form on the Training Services NSW website.
- Attach proof that you have passed your formal training - your qualification award or a transcript of results from the RTO
- You and your employer must complete and sign the form
- Your Australian Apprenticeships Centre representative can help prepare and lodge the early completion request
- Send to your local Training Services NSW Office.
Having problems convincing your employer to agree?
If your employer does not agree with your request for early completion of your apprenticeship or traineeship you should:
- ask your Australian Apprenticeships Centre contact to help you
- complete and sign the Request for Competency Based Completion form
- attach proof that you have passed your formal training - your qualification award or a transcript of results or letter from the RTO
- attach a letter explaining the situation
- send it to your local Training Services NSW office.
A Training Officer from Training Services NSW will contact you and your employer and try to get agreement from both of you. If that can't be done, the matter will be referred to the Vocational Training Tribunal for a decision.