I have changed employers

If you change employers and keep doing the same apprenticeship or traineeship, you and your old employer will need to 'transfer' your training contract to the new employer.

How to transfer

  • Fill in the transfer form for your training contract.
  • You and your new employer must sign it.
  • Your original employer must sign it too.
  • Lodge the form with your nearest Training Services NSW Office.
  • You, your old and the new employer will be notified in writing when the transfer has been approved.

Approval of a transfer is not automatic. Your new employer must be able to provide appropriate training in your trade or traineeship. Any allowances and rebates may also have to be reassessed.

Legal requirements

  • Section 20 of the NSW Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001 says that a req
  • made by your new employer to Training Services NSW (the Commissioner for Vocational Training) and describes how the application can be dealt with.
  • If the application is approved, all the terms, conditions, rights and obligations of your original employer are transferred to your new employer, and you continue your training with your new employer.


  • Skills
  • VET


  • VET

Business Unit:

  • Training Services NSW
Return to top of page Back to top