Earth and Environmental Science Year 11 and 12
Earth and Environmental Science builds upon the knowledge and working scientifically skills gained from the Earth and Space strand taught in science K-10. Students engage with the processes that have come to shape and influence the physical and biological worlds.
Earth and Environmental Science lies at the intersection between the Earth's four spheres. As such, it has a unique opportunity to give students an ability to become aware of, and better understand, the interconnectedness of the natural sciences that may otherwise be missed.
The syllabus maintains an equal focus on earth science and environmental science. Throughout the course, an emphasis is placed on the processes that bring about natural phenomena that can be observed all over the earth, including a student's local environment creating a sense of relevance and connectedness with the subject. There are opportunities for students to engage in contemporary earth science, including human impacts, climate science and resource management.
Support materials for the Earth and Environmental Science syllabus
The following support materials may be adapted by teachers to meet the individual needs of their schools.
Scope and sequence
Scope and sequence resources
Module resources Year 11
- Module 1 rocks and minerals unit plan (docx 58.45 KB)
- Module 3 energy transformations unit plan (docx 60.33 KB)
- Module 3 energy transformations assessment task (docx 50.66 KB)
- Module 3 energy transformations practical task (docx 268.42 KB)
- Module 4 water management student activity booklet (docx 78.76 KB)
- Module 4 depth study (docx 74.42 KB)
Module resources Year 12
- Module 5 guide (docx 312.77 KB)
- Module 6 guide (docx 94.43 KB)
- Module 6 hazards teaching and learning program (docx 75.77 KB)
- Module 6 magma viscosity tasks (docx 87.45 KB)
- Module 7 guide (docx 229.95 KB)
- Module 7 natural processes unit plan and booklet (docx 1.06 MB)
- Module 7 Mangroves and rising sea level (docx 80.08 KB)
- Module 8 guide (docx 265.12 KB)
- Year 12 modules problem set (docx 3.06 MB)
- Evaluating scientific investigations Stage 4 to 6 (docx 253.85 KB)
- Evaluating scientific investigations abridged (docx 69.33 KB)
- Indigenous perspectives (docx 55.94 KB)
- Inspired scientific thinking (docx 43.94 KB)
- Investigation planning sheet (docx 43.33 KB)
- Resource links (docx 79.2 KB)
- Risk analysis table (docx 44.32 KB)
- Self assessment strategy met not met I noticed (docx 52.14 KB)
- Student reflection science investigations (docx 148.27 KB)
- Working scientifically skills checklist (docx 45.0 KB)
The following websites may be useful for the teaching of Earth and Environmental Science:
- Australian Earth Science Education - presentations, investigations and readings mapped to the NSW Stage 6 curriculum
- Earth Science Western Australia - presentations, teacher notes, student activities and worksheets
- Geoscience Australia - virtual exhibits, videos, teacher resource booklets and student activities
- Teacher Earth Science Education Programme (TESEP) - online and in the field professional learning for teachers, teaching resources and interactive online student resources
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Science Earth and Environmental Stage 6 Syllabus© NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2021.