Driving and parking safely
The beginning and end of the school day are busy times for pedestrians and drivers outside schools.
Messages to share with parents and carers about safe parking and driving in the school zone:
- drop your child off and pick them up on the school side of the road
- never call out to them from across the road - it is very dangerous
- always take extra care in 40km school zones
- follow all parking signs - these help keep your child as safe as possible
- park responsibly even if it means you have to walk further to the school gate
- never double park - it is illegal and puts children at risk
- never do a U-turn or a three point turn outside the school as it puts children at risk of harm
- model safe and considerate pedestrian and driver behaviours to your child
- always give way to pedestrians, particularly when entering and leaving driveways.
Download information sheet – Drive and park safely near schools (PDF 962.37KB)
Translations available in 36 languages
Parking signs and rules (PDF 563KB)
Demerit point offences, Transport for NSW