Stage 5 reading - Literary devices
Students learn to identify and analyse the effect of a range of literary devices in imaginative, informative and persuasive texts.
- EN5-2A: effectively uses and critically assesses a wide range of processes, skills, strategies and knowledge for responding to and composing a wide range of texts in different media and technologies
- EN5-3B: selects and uses language forms, features and structures of texts appropriate to a range of purposes, audiences and contexts, describing and explaining their effects on meaning
National Literacy Learning Progression
- UnT9: identifies how authors create a sense of playfulness (pun, alliteration) (comprehension); analyses how language in texts serves different purposes (identifies how descriptive language is used differently in informative and persuasive texts - see grammar (process); identifies language used to create tone or atmosphere (vocabulary)
- UnT10: evaluates the effectiveness of language forms and features used in moderately complex or some sophisticated texts - See text complexity (comprehension)
- UnT11: evaluates the use of devices such as analogy, irony and satire (comprehension); analyses how authors manipulate language features, image and sound for a purpose (to create humour or playfulness) (comprehension); interprets symbolism in texts, providing evidence to justify interpretation (comprehension); interprets and analyses complex figurative language (euphemisms, hyperbole) (vocabulary)
NAPLAN item descriptors
The relevant NAPLAN item descriptors are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Full task descriptions are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Task 1: Literary devices
Students identify various literary devices (three activities).
Task 2: ‘The Road’ narrative textual analysis
Students explore similes in a narrative text (three activities).
Task 3: Persuasive technique speeches
Students use persuasive techniques in a 60 second speech (one activity).
Task 4: Multitasking – Persuasive technique hunt
Students explore and analyse persuasive techniques in texts (four activities).