- Familiarise and lead teacher understanding of the changes in the new syllabus (see the department’s Professional learning – Curriculum K-12 and NESA Online Learning hub).
- Work in partnership with middle leaders to support teachers to understand the evidence underpinning the new syllabus (see Reading and numeracy guides and research toolkits).
- Work closely with the middle leaders to explore Literacy and numeracy professional learning needs of teachers.
- Support colleagues to access and share practices across networks with other AP, C&I and schools (see Curriculum Reform Communities).
Curriculum implementation journey–assistant principal, curriculum and instruction
Guidance for assistant principals, curriculum and instruction (AP, C&I) implementing a new syllabus. Suggested activities, reflective questions and useful resources can be used flexibly across a range of schools for each phase of curriculum implementation.
The AP, C&I works in partnership with middle leaders and leadership teams in their school. Middle leaders could include assistant principals, aspiring leaders, highly accomplished teachers and lead teachers. Access strengthening leadership for the Assistant Principal, Curriculum and Instruction and the Assistant Principal, Curriculum and Instruction - Companion guide for schools (PDF 442 KB) to gain an understanding of how to work in partnership with middle leaders.
In the engage phase, AP, C&I:
- explore aspects of literacy and numeracy in the new syllabus
- identify effective practices to improve student literacy and numeracy outcomes through curriculum
- work in partnership with middle leaders to plan changes required for effective curriculum implementation.
- To what extent do my colleagues and I have a deep understanding of the literacy and numeracy demands and evidence underpinning the new syllabus?
- What literacy and numeracy resources do we need to commence syllabus implementation and to meet curriculum planning and programming, assessing and reporting requirements?
- How will I work in partnership with middle leaders to build the literacy and numeracy expertise and capabilities of our teachers?
- To what extent does the implementation plan allocate time for literacy and numeracy evaluation and reflection as a leadership team?
In the enact phase, AP, C&I:
- lead and support the teaching, assessing and reporting of literacy and numeracy using the new syllabus
- evaluate to refine literacy and numeracy practices and systems.
- To what extent are parents and the school community aware of the literacy and numeracy changes in the new curriculum?
- How will I lead and support the teaching of literacy and numeracy to optimise learning for all students?
- How will I work in partnership with middle leadership to plan for effective literacy and numeracy teaching aligned to the new syllabus?
- How effective are the processes for supporting changes to literacy and numeracy assessment?
- How will I work with the leadership team to evaluate whole school literacy and numeracy processes and structures?
In the embed phase, AP, C&I should focus on strengthening and scaling literacy and numeracy to ensure sustainable practices and systems.
- How has the explicit teaching of literacy and numeracy led to improvements in student learning?
- How have I worked collaboratively with teachers to build their literacy and numeracy capability?
- How will I measure and evaluate the impact of literacy and numeracy assessment and teacher practice?
- What are the literacy and numeracy enablers and barriers for future syllabus implementation?
- How do I work in partnership with middle leaders and leadership teams to guide whole school improvement?