Planning, programming and assessing ancient history
Resources to help you plan, program and assess ancient history in Years 11-12.
Ancient history examines past societies using a wide variety of written and archaeological sources. A study of ancient history allows students to:
- investigate past people, societies, events and historical sites using the methods of historians and archaeologists
- understand the influence the ancient past has on the present and future
- analyse written and archaeological evidence, question interpretations of available evidence, appreciate the need to conserve historical sites and consider changing interpretations of the past
- communicate about history in a variety of forms.
Ancient history (NESA) contains the syllabus and support materials including a sample assessment schedule, standards packages, HSC exam specifications and specimen papers.
The Ancient history planning tool maps topics across the ancient history syllabus, highlighting complementary areas of study and key connections. It will support you to create a strong scope and sequence to develop student understanding of course content and concepts, ensuring the best learning path through the syllabus for your context.
HSC revision resources
Use the following resources to support students in their studies as they prepare for the HSC exam. Use the included activities as part of classroom learning or set for independent study. The resources are designed to be used in part or in full to fit the contextual needs of your teaching.
Many of the following support materials were developed by NSW public school teachers as part of the Stage 6 mEsh project where 62 teachers led writing teams (over 150 teachers) across NSW.
Year 11 the nature of ancient history
Year 11 case studies
Year 11 features of ancient societies
- Weapons and warfare Mycenae and Carthage (docx 72.93 KB)
- Weapons and warfare assessment (docx 57.92 KB)
- Activity 1 see think wonder (docx 44.6 KB)
- Activity 2 zoom in (docx 43.12 KB)
- Carthaginian military tactics table (docx 43.17 KB)
- Weaponry workstation worksheet (docx 44.31 KB)
- Mycenaean weaponry table (docx 45.94 KB)
- Mycenaean fresco resource (docx 317.77 KB)
Year 12 core cities of Vesuvius
The HSC hub contains quality resources aligned to NSW syllabuses. Access resources designed by our curriculum experts to support the delivery of HSIE subjects in the lead-up to the HSC examinations.
30min presentation with tips for studying and completing the written examination.
HSC hub - Ancient history - success in the written examination