School canteens may be operated by the school, the school’s P&C Association or a private operator.

Principals must contact School Infrastructure NSW for advice and assistance with establishing a canteen.

A licence is required if the service is to be run by the P&C association or a private operator.

The school P&C Association should approach the principal if it wishes to operate a canteen at the school.

On behalf of the department, School Infrastructure NSW:

  • sets the licence fee
  • conducts the tender, if required, for establishing a new service or renewing the canteen licence
  • prepares and executes the canteen licence agreement.

See section 5.4 of the Sharing of School Facilities implementation procedures for more information.


  • Facilities, assets and equipment

Business Unit:

  • School Infrastructure NSW
Return to top of page Back to top