Strong start great teachers
Every beginning teacher deserves a quality induction program in their first critical years of teaching - a program that is structured, comprehensive and school-based. Strong start great teachers (SSGT) provides schools with the induction support to achieve this.
A quality induction gives beginning teachers a strong start. It supports them to become capable and confident teachers, committed to maximising the learning outcomes of their students.
To facilitate quality induction, the department provides:
- funding for eligible beginning teachers and their in-school mentors
- the SSGT resource.
These two components are designed to ensure beginning teachers and their schools have a framework of support to guide the development of their school-based induction programs.
The SSGT resource supports school-based induction for beginning teachers and provides ideas, advice and information on:
- Setting up induction for beginning teachers
- the phases of induction starting with Orientation
- the practice of Developing focus and reflection in line with NESA Australian professional standards for teachers (the Standards)
- practical strategies for Refining practice in the key areas of focus for beginning teachers, as identified in the research and the Standards
- Gaining proficient accreditation at the completion of a quality induction program.
What is the 5C model of school-based induction?
The department's 5C model is based on the principle that quality school-based induction must be comprehensive. Quality induction involves five essential components as represented in the following 5C model of school-based induction.
Quality induction - whose responsibility?
The principal, school staff and the beginning teacher all play a key role in a school's induction process. Depending on the school's size, location, and the number of beginning teachers, support may be shared between the principal and other staff members such as supervisors, in-school mentors and buddy teachers.
The key steps
The three key steps can help to ensure your school delivers a quality induction program for beginning teachers:
- Beginning Teacher Support Funding Policy
- Human Resource information for school teachers
- Department-wide induction for new teachers
- Department-wide induction for principals and school executive
- Performance and Development Framework
- Disability learning and support
- Disability strategy.