Start Strong Capital Works grants
Research shows that children who participate in a quality early childhood education program for at least 600 hours in the year before school are more likely to start school equipped with the social, cognitive and emotional skills they need to engage in learning.
Grant-based funding allows the use of innovative approaches to improve access to quality services and increase community preschool places in areas of need and demand.
The $4 Million Start Strong Capital Works grants program aims to increase the number of 600 hour community preschool places available in areas of need and demand.
Eligible services can apply for funding through this program to:
- Build a new centre-based community preschool
- Extend an existing community preschool
- Renovate existing or new premises for a centre-based community preschool
- Purchase a motor vehicle for an existing mobile preschool
- Respond to a crisis situation with a capital works project
Capital Works grants will be awarded through a competitive assessment process.
To assist in the preparation of grant applications for this program, please see the Application Guide. The guide shows the types of information that could be included to support the application.
Applications for the 2019 round of Start Strong Capital Works grants will be open from Monday 27 May to Sunday 4 August.
Service eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply, service providers must first :
- Comply or agree to comply with the requirements of applicable national and state laws and regulations for the relevant service type (e.g. the Early Childhood Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010, Children (Education and Care Services National Law Application) Act 2010, Education and Care Services National Regulations, Supplementary Provisions Regulation 2012).
- Hold, or have an application lodged to hold, or intend to hold a valid Provider Approval to operate an early childhood education service in NSW. Provider Approval must be obtained within 12 months of receiving notification of the successful outcome of this grant application.
- Be registered or incorporated in NSW, as a not for profit organisation or association with appropriate governance mechanisms and sound financial management. e.g. registration with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC)
- Operate, or have an application lodged to operate, a mobile or centre based community preschool service with a valid Service Approval. Service providers intending to operate an early childhood education centre must obtain Service Approval within 12 months of receiving notification of the successful outcome of this grant application.
- Operate an existing mobile preschool with a valid Service Approval.
Each category has additional eligibility criteria that are to be addressed as part of the application. The eligibility criteria for each category are provided in the Capital Works Program Guidelines.
For more information about the $4 Million Start Strong Capital Works grants program, please contact:
Early Childhood Education Directorate
1300 755 426