Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 3
What needs to be measured determines the unit of measurement – introduces students to the big idea ‘What you want to describe decides what unit of measure to use’.
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2021 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
In this unit students will learn to:
- recognise that the attribute you want to describe informs the unit of measure you use
- describe, compare, and order measurable attributes including length, area, volume and mass
- share their thinking when working with others to solve problems.
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole number – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Connect counting and numerals to quantities
Geometric measure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-GM-02
- Length: Use direct and indirect comparisons to decide which is longer
Two-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-2DS-02
- Area: Identify and compare area
Three-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-2DS-02
- Volume: Compare internal volume by filling and packing
Non-spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-NSM-01
- Mass: Identify and compare mass using weight