Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 1
Attributes can be used to sort objects – Sample unit to support implementation of the Mathematics K-2 Syllabus. In this unit, students are introduced to sorting objects using attributes.
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2021 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
In this unit students will learn to:
- combine and separate quantities
- recognise and explain how a group of shapes has been sorted
- describe two-dimensional spatial structures
- organise objects into simple data displays and interpret these displays.
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole number – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Connect counting and numerals to quantities
- Use the counting sequence of ones flexibly
- Identify the number before as ‘one less’ and the number after as ‘one more’ than a given number
Combining and separating quantities – MAO-WM-01, MAE-CSQ-01, MAE-CSQ-02
- Identify part–whole relationships in numbers up to 10
- Model additive relations and compare quantities
Two-dimensional spatial structure – MAO-WM-01, MAE-2DS-01
- 2D shapes: Sort, describe and name familiar shapes
- 2D shapes: Represent shapes
Data – MAO-WM-01, MAE-DATA-01
- Respond to questions, collect information and discuss possible outcomes of activities
- Organise objects into simple data displays and interpret the displays