Stage 4 reading - Evaluating sources
Students learn to evaluate the accuracy of sources. Students will explore the tools and techniques used to add authority to texts and what to look for to assess credibility.
- EN4-1A: responds to and composes texts for understanding, interpretation, critical analysis, imaginative expression and pleasure
- EN4-2A: effectively uses a widening range of processes, skills, strategies and knowledge for responding to and composing texts in different media and technologies
- EN4-3B: uses and describes language forms, features and structures of texts appropriate to a range of purposes, audiences and contexts Literacy Learning Progression guide
National Literacy Learning Progression
- UnT9: identifies the main themes or concepts in moderately complex texts (comprehension); summarises the text identifying key details (comprehension); selects reading/viewing pathways appropriate to reading purpose (scans text for key phrase or close reading for learning) (process)
- UnT10: synthesises information from a variety of complex texts (comprehension); reads and views moderately complex or some sophisticated texts - see text complexity (comprehension)
- UnT11: derive a generalisation from abstract ideas in texts (comprehension); identifies relevant and irrelevant information in texts (comprehension)
NAPLAN item descriptors
The relevant NAPLAN item descriptors are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Full task descriptions are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Task 1: What is fact and what is fiction?
Students locate what is fact and what is fiction in a nonfiction text that has elements of both informative and persuasive text (two activities).
Task 2: Evaluating sources
Students research features of "Fake News" and the importance of evaluating a source for credibility and validity (four activities).
Task 3: Evaluating web sources
Students evaluate web URLs and discuss possible bias and considerations on authority and validity (two activities).