Stage 3 reading - Inference
Students will learn to use background information and clues in the text to make inferences.
- EN3-3A: uses an integrated range of skills, strategies and knowledge to read, view and comprehend a wide range of texts in different media and technologies
- EN3-5B: discusses how language is used to achieve a widening range of purposes for a widening range of audiences and contexts.
National Literacy Learning Progression
- UnT8: poses and answers inferential questions (comprehension); reads and views some moderately complex tests - see text complexity (comprehension)
- UnT9: justifies an opinion or response by citing evidence from a text (comprehension); uses processes such as predicting, confirming prediction, monitoring and connecting relevant elements of the text to build or repair meaning (process); selects reading/viewing pathways appropriate to reading purpose (scans text for key phrase or close reading for learning) (process); uses a range of context and grammatical cues to understand unfamiliar words (vocabulary)
- UnT10: interprets abstract or more remote content (comprehension); demonstrates an understanding of nuances and subtleties in words of similar meaning (frustrated, discouraged, baffled) (vocabulary)
NAPLAN item descriptors
The relevant NAPLAN item descriptors are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Full task descriptions are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
What is inference?
Students use clues and background knowledge to learn about inference .
Using pictures to infer
Students make predictions and connections using a range of images.
Inferring from text
Students connect evidence, background knowledge and text clues with an inference.
Show don’t tell
Students use evidence, background knowledge and text clues to infer character traits and key ideas in texts.
Actions and motivations
Students examine character actions and use text clues to infer motivations.
Students connect evidence, background knowledge and text clues with an inference ).
Inference in poetry
Students use various strategies to determine the overall message in poems.