Applications are submitted directly to selective high schools, using a downloadable application form which is available below when applications are open. Applications for entry in 2018 closed on 28 July 2017.
Applications can be made to up to three selective high schools. See the school websites or contact the school to find out about specific assessment requirements for entry to Years 8 to 12.
- Download a printable copy of the application information.
- Complete a separate application form for each selective high school.
- Applications open from late June to late July each year, for entry the following year.
- Download the application form (available here from late June to late July each year).
- List the chosen schools in order of priority on each application form.
- You can use photocopied forms.
- Submit an application to up to three schools by the due date on the form.
- Complete any extra documentation or assessment required by the school – check with each individual school for their requirements.
- Contact each individual school to make enquiries and to change contact details or other information after the application is submitted.
A student's current pattern of study may be taken into account by the selection committee. Subject choice may vary from school to school.
Generally students must be Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia. Information on Australian citizenship is available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- Applicants who do not meet residency requirements at the time of applying – but expect to meet them before enrolment – may apply if they are already living in Australia. Applicants must show evidence of residency requirements prior to being offered a place.
- Applicants who do not meet the residency requirements – including those who hold diplomatic visas – but who qualify for entry on academic grounds, can ask for special consideration during the review process if extenuating circumstances apply.
- Citizens of New Zealand living in New South Wales are eligible for selective high school entry. Permanent residents of New Zealand are not.
School principals are required to check claims of residential status and citizenship against school records. All successful applicants will be required to show original documentation, such as a birth certificate, Australian Citizenship certificate or visa, before enrolment can be finalised by the school.
A student's family must be living in NSW by the beginning of the school year. Applications from parents who continue to live outside NSW after the school year begins will be considered only if there are vacancies after all suitable applicants from NSW have been placed.