Mathematics – Early Stage 1 – Unit 9
This sample unit explores solving problems by comparing, combining and separating quantities.
Mathematics K-2 Syllabus © 2021 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales.
Students are provided with opportunities to:
- separate and take away part of a group to determine how many.
- compare 2 or more groups to determine equality or how many more
- combine 2 or more groups to identify the relationship between the parts and the whole
Syllabus focus and content group
Representing whole number – MAO-WM-01, MAE-RWN-01, MAE-RWN-02
- Instantly name the number of objects within small collections
- Recognise number patterns
- Use the counting sequence of ones flexibly
- Connect counting and numerals to quantities
Combining and separating quantities – MAO-WM-01, MAE-CSQ-01, MAE-CSQ-02
- Model additive relations and compare quantities
- Identify part–whole relationships in numbers up to 10
Forming groups – MAO-WM-01, MAE-FG-02
- Investigate and form equal groups by sharing
- Record grouping and sharing
Data – MAO-WM-01, MAE-DATA-01
- Respond to questions, collect information and discuss possible outcomes of activities
- Organise objects into simple data displays and interpret the displays