Text-based protocols for leaders
Each ‘Unpacking the evidence base’ PowerPoint incorporates a text-based protocol to model their use in professional learning sessions. Leaders can choose to swap the suggested text-based protocol with another, as each PowerPoint can be adapted to suit both the school and professional learning context.
Text-based protocols can be downloaded to engage staff with the research base. Most of these activities are 30–60 minutes in length – ideal for team, faculty or staff meetings. For greatest success:
- adapt for the purpose of the learning discussion and time constraints of your session
- larger groups should be broken into groups of 6–8 staff so everyone can contribute
- note taking should not occur to promote deep listening
- establish norms to set the culture and tone for collaborative learning.
- A provocative question
- Big ideas jigsaw
- Challenging assumptions
- Supporting evidence
- Surfacing significant ideas
- Text rendering
- The final say on quotes
For something quick and a little less formal, try the core thinking routines from Harvard’s Graduate School of Education to support thinking and promote professional dialogue.