Exploring the differences between English Standard and Advanced
This course provides an overview of the differences between English Standard and English Advanced through the lens of Reading to Write.
Audience: Year 11 teachers.
Module 1 of a suite of professional learning delivered by members of the English Curriculum team online using Microsoft Teams, with registration available through MyPL. These accredited courses draw upon a range of evidence-based assessment, feedback and pedagogical practice. They allow participants to reflect upon, assess and evaluate their own knowledge of the courses, and their professional practice within their own contexts.
This live and online professional learning event is delivered via the English Statewide Staffroom (staff only), in the Professional learning channel (staff only). Participants must be a member of the Teams space to participate in the event.
This session has been designed to support teacher understanding of how to evaluate current feedback practices.
Places are limited, to secure a position in Module 1 - Exploring the differences between English Standard and Advanced – Year 11 common module, please use the course registration on MyPL and complete the registration survey.
- develop an understanding of the difference between English Standard and English Advanced and ways of approaching the module in each course
- engage in structured discussion and collaboratively reflect on current practices
- expand understanding of how to utilise the syllabus and the English Textual Concepts resources to create contextually relevant high-quality teaching and learning material
- evaluate and annotate a current teaching and learning unit and associated assessment, from their school, in line with NESA’s guidelines
- submit their annotated teaching and learning unit and assessment task via the assignment submission in MyPL.
Participants will submit:
- an annotated teaching and learning unit and assessment task for the common module
- an evaluation survey through MyPL.
This accredited professional learning is connected to the domains:
- Professional knowledge – Standard 2 – Know the content and how it teach it
- 2.3.2 Design and implement learning and teaching programs using knowledge of curriculum, assessment and reporting requirements
- Professional engagement – Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- 7.4.2 Participate in professional and community networks and forums to broaden knowledge and improve practice.
Syllabus outcomes from English Stage 6 © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2021.