Late application requests
There is an opportunity to request approval to make a late application for placement in an opportunity class if you missed the application deadline.
Late application requests can be made up until 26 June 2023. It will not be possible to lodge a late request after this date.
Am I eligible to make a late request?
Closing dates for applications are strictly observed. The only circumstances under which a late application can be considered are:
- Where parents are applying for placement of their children in opportunity classes where there may be a shortage of suitable applicants in some rural schools. The choices are locked for those applicants and they cannot be considered for other opportunity classes even if they move their residence.
- Where both parents/carers have documentary evidence to support a claim that circumstances beyond their control prevented them from completing an application. The application takes a maximum of 20 minutes to complete and is available 24 hours a day on any internet enabled device during the month that applications are open.
IMPORTANT: The majority of late applications are not approved.
Your request for approval to make a late application on the grounds described at point 2 above will be considered only once. Once the late request is not approved, you will not be able to send more information later and request further consideration.
Your application will not be approved unless it contains all of the following:
- a very detailed request for approval (no request will be approved on the grounds that the parents forgot to apply, or were too busy with work or had problems that are not described.)
- a description of factors which prevented both parents from applying for the whole time that applications were available (no request will be approved if parents had technical or other problems on the last few days that applications were available.)
- external supporting documents such as detailed medical reports. If you believe the public school did not advise parents you must approach the school and get a statement from the principal which agrees with you.
Note: All information including all supporting documents must be provided at the same time. The request will be evaluated once only and if the request is not approved, the Unit will not continue corresponding with the parent about the matter.
How do I make a late request?
If you've missed the application window and you think you meet the grounds for a late application, click + Create late application request, located on your opportunity class application dashboard and submit the request.
2. Add student details, add school selections and provide grounds for consideration, then click Submit request.
3. The Selective Education Unit will review your request based on the request and evidence provided. Once your late request is submitted, it will not be possible to add further information to the request made.
How do I send or reply to messages about the request?
To send a message, click + New message. Complete the fields, then click Send. The Selective Education Unit will review your message and respond to you within 21 days.
Any new messages from the Selective Education Unit will show under Messages. You can read a new message and depending on the type of message, you can reply to it.
Must I add supporting evidence to my late request?
Yes, unless you are applying for a school which may have a shortage of suitable applicants, you must attach supporting evidence to the late application request.
Can I edit my late request after it has been submitted?
No, you can’t edit a late application request once it is submitted.
My request has been approved. What now?
You need to complete the application and submit it within a week of the approval.
1. From the action menu, select Complete application. This will take you into the application form.
2. Complete all eight sections of your opportunity class application.
Please note: Some of the details will be filled in from your late application request and some of these fields will be greyed out and can’t be updated or changed. You will need to complete all the other fields on the application form.
3. Submit your application. Once you successfully submit, you will receive confirmation on the screen and your application status will show as ‘Submitted’ in green font. A confirmation email and message in your application dashboard will also be sent to you. Contact the Unit immediately if you think you have submitted your application but you do not receive a confirmation email or a message in your dashboard and your application status does not show as ‘submitted.’
How long does it take to receive an outcome?
The time taken to reach a decision depends upon the circumstances and supporting evidence provided.
The Selective Education Unit will message you once the outcome is determined.