Boarding at agricultural high schools

There are 3 agricultural high schools that offer boarding for students:

Boarders are required to board (live) at the school during the school terms.

Day students only attend the school during regular school hours and do not board at night.

The placement process for day students and boarders is different – a student offered a place as a boarder cannot automatically transfer to a day place.

For schools with day and boarder places, take care to select the boarding section of the school when applying.

Selection committees give special consideration to applications from students living in remote areas. Extra consideration may also be given to students who have brothers or sisters currently attending the same school.

If an offer is accepted, the school's student residential agreement and student medical history form must be completed. The school will provide these forms to parents.

High school students outside in sheep pen looking at sheep run High school students outside in sheep pen looking at sheep run

Early offers for rural and remote students

Early offers may be available for students who live in rural or remote locations and who apply for boarding at:

  • Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School
  • Hurlstone Agricultural High School
  • Yanco Agricultural High School.

You must complete the standard online application for selective high school placement. The school will contact you directly if you are eligible to apply for an early offer and to request your child's academic reports. Your child's academic merit will be considered, along with confirmation that they live in an eligible rural or remote location.

You and your child may be asked to attend an interview at the agricultural school. This will help the school to get to know your child and their interest in an agricultural boarding school experience.

We anticipate that students will receive early offers starting from Term 1 of Year 6.

Will my child still need to sit the placement test?

Yes. Students who get an early offer must still sit the Selective High School Placement Test to be eligible for their place. Test results help schools to plan for their students’ learning needs.

Fees for boarding

Parents accepting a boarder place for their child will need to sign the school's student residential agreement that includes agreement to pay boarder fees on time. Contact the school to find out the current fees.

Boarding schools may require a deposit after acceptance of a boarding placement. The deposit is deducted from the boarding fees paid on enrolment. If a student withdraws after accepting the offer of a place, the school keeps the deposit.

Financial support

The rural and distance education team administers two financial support programs for eligible families whose children must board away from home to obtain secondary education. Closing dates apply. See rural and remote education scholarships for further information.

Boarding Scholarships for Isolated Students

Boarding Scholarships for Isolated Students (BSIS) are available for eligible families whose children are required to board to attend a specialist high school, such as an agricultural high school. Applications are made through the rural and distance education team – applicants must meet strict isolation and economic circumstances criteria.

Living Away From Home Allowance

The NSW Government offers assistance in the form of the Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) to geographically isolated families whose children need to board to attend secondary school. The allowance is administered by the rural and distance education team and is subject to a means test.

Australian Government assistance

The Australian Government also offers financial support through ABSTUDY, the Youth Allowance and Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme (AIC),

The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme (AIC) is an Australian Government program that targets students who cannot attend a public school because the family home is geographically isolated or the students have a disability or special health needs.

For more information

Contact the Rural and Distance Education Team.

Phone: 02 6334 8070


  • Teaching and learning


  • High school

Business Unit:

  • Educational Standards
Return to top of page Back to top