Information Access – Agency Information Guide
Information access is responsible for the department's obligations under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.
Members of the public can access records, reports and other types of information that is of public interest through the Information Access unit. Access to information is only restricted where there is an overriding public interest against disclosure under the Government Information (Public) Access Act 2009 (GIPA Act).
Our agency guide describes the type of information that is either freely available or available on informal request. It describes other instances where formal application may be made for access and where access is excluded. It also provides links to information about how members of the public can participate in the department's functions and in the formulation of policy.
We are committed to improving openness, transparency and ease of public access to our information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act), including policies, statistics and reports.
You can view the NSW Education Standards Authority's agency information guide for more information about NESA.
You can find out more about the functions of the department and the type of information we hold through the ’about us’ section of the department's website.
Information for staff on how to process applications can be found on the staff guidelines page.
People often ask
How to access information
Under the Government Information (Public) Access Act 2009 (GIPA Act) there are four ways that the department can make information available to the public:
- open access information via the internet
- proactive push of information into the public domain via other channels (ie print)
- release as a result of an informal request for information not already available
- a formal application process for information not publicly available.
For information about how to access each type of information, please see the headings below:
Freely available information held by the department
- about the department
- Department of Education organisational chart (PDF 86.69KB)
- disclosure log
- major asset sales and purchases
- record of information not publicly available
- policy library
- annual reports
- documents that are tabled in Parliament
- contracts register
- customer service statement
- code of conduct
- education Datahub – holds a range of proactively released datasets including financial statements and statistics
- how we handle complaints
- privacy code of practice (PDF 147.28KB)
You can also find out if the information you want is freely available by contacting the relevant business area via the department contacts page.
Open access data
The department's Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation provides open access data about education in NSW within the education Datahub. CESE analyses and evaluates educational programs and strategies and gauges New South Wales' education performance over time through its ongoing core data collections and delivery of analysis and reports.
A copy of the department’s open data policy is also available.
If we haven't published the information you seek we may be able to release it to you without the need for a formal access application. We generally provide the following types of information in response to an informal request:
- copies of correspondence, sent to us by the requester
- documents that contain only personal information about the requester
- documents that have already been made public in some other way
- other reasonable requests for release of information that would not raise any potential public interest concerns.
Where information is released to you in response to your informal request conditions may apply.
To make an informal access request please contact either the relevant school, or the Information Access unit.
If the information you are looking for is not published by us or available by informal request, you may wish to make a formal access application in writing under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. Access applications are subject to application fees and processing charges. We will not however release information if there is an overriding public interest against its disclosure.
To make a formal access request please use the access application form (PDF 352.42KB) or contact the Information Access unit.
Forms and fact sheets
Information which may not be disclosed
An access application cannot be made for information specifically excluded under Schedule 2 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. This includes the storage, reporting and analysis of department information relating to the ranking of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions. For more details about information that may not be disclosed, please contact the Information Access Unit.
For some categories of information, while an access application may be made there is a presumption against release. The list of categories is set out at Schedule 1 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. For more details about information that may not be disclosed, please contact the Information Access Unit.
Provide feedback and comment
The department has a number of ways you can provide feedback. You can make a comment, participate in formulating the department's policies, or to participate in the exercise of the department's functions including:
- To comment, make suggestions or provide feedback on our policies
- Phone: 02 9561 8999
- Email: DoEinfo@det.nsw.edu.au
- To participate in the exercise of the department's functions
- Phone: 02 9561 8999
- Email: DoEinfo@det.nsw.edu.au
- To provide feedback about our website of the department use the "Provide Feedback" button at the bottom of this page.
- Department switchboard
- Phone: 1300 679 332
- Social Media:
About the department, the school system and location of policy documents
Call the schools and community senior information officer
T 02 9561 8999
Applications under the GIPA Act
Information Access Unit
Department of Education
Level 5, 105 Phillip St
PARRAMATTA NSW 2150
T 02 7814 3525
NSW Department of Education's media unit:
T 02 9561 8501