Complaints, compliments and suggestions

If you want to provide feedback, make a complaint, or tell us something we've done well, we'd like to know. We are committed to resolving complaints promptly at a local level. This means that most complaints are referred to the relevant school or area for resolution.

If your complaint is about a public school, start by talking to the teacher, year advisor or school principal. Visit our Guide for parents, carers and students for more information.

Finding a public school

Tips and advice on effective complaining

Guide for parents, carers and students

Quick reference guide - making a complaint about our schools (PDF 135.29KB)

Our commitment to you

We will deal with your issue thoroughly and fairly.

We value your feedback

We are constantly improving the way we work, so let us know if you have any suggestions.

We'd also like to know if you think we're doing something well. It helps us to make sure we continue to do great things in public education and training. We'll make sure your message is passed on.

What can a complaint be about?

You can make a complaint about:

  • any aspect of the services we provide
  • any decision, including those about enrolment
  • any practice, policy or procedure
  • staff behaviour or conduct.

Making a complaint

We will support people who need assistance to make a complaint. All complaints will be handled fairly, objectively and promptly, and at the local level where possible.

We encourage you to raise your complaint directly with the school or service. You can do this in person, by email, over the telephone or by letter if you prefer.

You can also use our online complaints and compliments form or the widget on the right hand side of this page. We will pass your feedback on to the right place for action.

  • For complaints, compliments and suggestions about schools, visit our guide for parents, carers and students.
  • To make a complaint about a school principal or about a broader function of the department, you can use the online form or contact the Director Educational Leadership responsible for the school.
  • For complaints, compliments or suggestions about a service provided by one of the administrative directorates or workplaces, contact that service area and ask to speak to a manager.
  • Department of Education employees should refer to our Staff Complaints Procedure (PDF 2.67MB) for information about the process to follow when making and managing work-related complaints (staff only).
  • Issues relating to the services that EdConnect provide, including complaints and feedback about EdConnect, should be directed to EdConnect (staff only).
  • Our complaints handling policy and associated procedures provide more information about the complaint process.
  • Read the School Community Charter to ensure you understand how important it is to create a positive learning environment for our students.

More information

Return to top of page Back to top