Support with making a complaint

Help to make a complaint

We can assist parents, carers and students who do not speak or understand English well, the deaf or hearing impaired and those with a speech impairment. If you need another kind of support to make a complaint, please let us know and our staff will do their best to help you.

Our Easy Read guide explains with words and pictures how to make a complaint, give a compliment, or suggestion to our schools. The guide also contains information about supports available to make a complaint.

Easy Read guide

The National Relay Service is an Australia-wide phone service for people who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment.

Our schools and communities will make sure that written communication is appropriate, fair and easy to read.

Support persons and advocates

You may bring a friend or relative to be your support at meetings. For more information about how others can assist you in making and progressing a complaint, see our guide about the role of support persons and advocates.

Interpreting and translation services

Information is available in many languages about:

We can arrange onsite, online or telephone interpreting and translation services for meetings or interviews with a school or the Department of Education, if available - just ask beforehand.

Visit translated documents to search for more information about the department.

Support and Resources for Aboriginal Families

Know your options for compliments, complaints and feedback

We recognise and value the learning that Aboriginal children bring with them from their homes and communities into the classroom, and want to work with families to support children in their learning. If you are worried about something that is happening at school, let us know as soon as you can. If we know about something early, we can work with you to find a solution. See our information for Aboriginal families about making a complaint.

When responding to a complaint, our schools are committed to:

  • Being understanding and open to all Aboriginal communities
  • Understanding that all families are different and, like all communities, these differences will affect family choices and practices
  • Respecting Aboriginal ways of knowing and communication
  • Being open to families, communities, Kinship groups and Elders being involved in the complaints process

We know that, sometimes, parents, carers and family would feel more comfortable talking with mob, or another Aboriginal person about what is happening. You can ask to speak to:

  • The Aboriginal Education Officer (AEO), if the school has one.
  • Someone in the local Aboriginal Education and Wellbeing Team, such as the Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer (ACLO) at the school’s local network office.
  • If you would like to speak with an independent person who can talk on your behalf or support you through the complaint process, you can contact your local NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG). To find details of the Regional Committee for your area, go to the AECG website at

To find the details of a school’s network office, go to: Finding a Public School.


  • Human resources

Business Unit:

  • Professional and Ethical Standards
Return to top of page Back to top