Making a complaint about other education services

Complaints about an early childhood education or outside school hours care service

Early childhood education and care services include preschools, long day care, family day care, out of school hours care, vacation care, and mobile services.

If you have concerns about an early childhood education and care service, first raise them directly with the director, manager or other staff at the service so they can take action. If you cannot resolve the issue directly with the serivce, you can contact us to make a complaint.

For more information about complaints relating to early childhood education services or to make a complaint, go to: How to give feedback or make a complaint about an early childhood education service

If there is a risk to the health, safety or wellbeing of children, contact us on 1800 619 113.

Complaints about non-government schools in NSW

The department does not manage complaints about independent or Catholic systemic schools.

If you have feedback or a complaint about a non-government school in NSW, contact the school directly. All registered non-government schools are required to have a complaint procedure. Where possible and appropriate, schools are required to provide an opportunity to resolve the issue. Schools may have information on their websites about their complaint processes or they can be requested directly from the school.

The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) is responsible for monitoring the compliance of non-government schools with the requirements of the Education Act 1990. In some circumstances, NESA may take action in relation to complaints about non-government schools in NSW.

For further information about NESA’s processes for raising concerns about non-government schools, see non-government schools: raising concerns

Canteens & services run by the P&C

If you have feedback or a complaint about a service that is run by a Parents and Citizens Association at a public school, such as a canteen, out of school hours care service or school uniform shop, please contact the P&C Association directly. The school can provide the contact details for the P&C Association.

Complaints about schools outside of NSW

If you have feedback or a complaint about schools outside of NSW, contact the school directly.

Complaints about Vocational Education and Training service providers

Training Services NSW looks after vocational education and training (VET) in NSW. Training Services NSW works with and provides information on a range of NSW VET providers. All training providers approved to deliver training under Smart and Skilled are required to have processes to protect consumers and handle complaints. If you have a complaint about a NSW VET provider, first contact the provider directly. If you cannot resolve the issue directly with the provider, you can also contact the Smart and Skilled customer support centre to seek assistance, ask for advice, make a complaint or provide feedback. For more information, go to Consumer Protection for Students.

If you have a complaint about a service that the department provides, you can contact Training Services NSW or TAFE NSW. You can also make a complaint through the department's online complaint, compliment or suggestion form.


  • Human resources

Business Unit:

  • Professional and Ethical Standards
Return to top of page Back to top