Administration and support in schools

Our public schools need people with all kinds of skills and experience.

Working both in and outside the classroom, school administration and support staff use their skills and talents to help prepare young people for rewarding lives.

Whether you want to use your administration skills to become a school's Business Manager, work outside as a General Assistant, or care for your community in the classroom as a specialist Aboriginal Student Support Officer, you’ll find something at Education that suits your interests.

School administration

Working in an administration role, you will play an essential part in your local public school, keeping business running smoothly and working to ensure all students are provided with the greatest possible opportunity to reach their full potential.

Which role is right for you?

These are just some of the school administration roles available in NSW public schools.

Some schools have business managers. As a business manager, you would support the efficient management of a school’s business functions including work related to administration, health and safety, asset management, project management and finance.

Business manager positions are established under the Public Sector Employment and Management Act 2002. Conditions of employment are in accordance with the Crown Employees (Public Service Conditions of Employment) Award 2009.

School administrative managers (SAMs) are part of the school administrative and support team in all our schools. As a SAM you would assist the principal in planning and maintaining school routines and are responsible for the efficient management of the school financial and administration functions.

Your role would also involve supervising school administrative officers and promoting training opportunities.

Initially, when SAM vacancies are advertised, only permanent SAS staff (full time and part time) are eligible to apply. If the position is not filled following this process it is re-advertised and made available to external applicants.

The school administrative officer (SAO) may be the first person to greet you when you arrive at a school. As a SAO you would support the principal and your supervisor (SAM) to maintain school routines.

Your responsibilities would include assisting in the school library, science or home science areas, operating and maintaining classroom and office equipment, and undertaking an administrative role in the school office or reception area. After appropriate training, you can also volunteer to administer first aid or prescribed medications to students.

Classroom support

Teaching isn't the only role at Education that directly supports students within the classroom. Working in one of our many in-class support roles, you will usually find yourself in a classroom alongside a teacher, circulating from group to group or working one-on-one with a student.

Which role is right for you?

These are just some of the classroom support roles available in NSW public schools.

School learning support officers, under the supervision and direction of a teacher, assist in classroom activities, school routines, and the care and management of students with special needs.

Generally, their role includes assisting teachers in school and community centres to:

  • implement individual education programs (IEPs)
  • provide opportunities for students to develop personal, social, independent, living and pre-vocational skills
  • attend to the personal care needs of students, and
  • operate audio-visual aids, duplicating, issuing learning materials and clerical duties.
  • There are several types of school learning support officer roles; including general school learning support officers, school learning support officer (pre-school), school learning support officer (braille transcriber), school learning support officer (sign interpreter), and school learning support officer (ethnic).

Educational paraprofessionals work under the guidance and supervision of teachers, supporting teaching and learning in the classroom. They are engaged in a temporary capacity and are paid during term time and non term time. They are expected to complete class preparation duties during non teaching weeks as planned with the classroom teacher.

Detailed information regarding the employment conditions of all paraprofessionals is available in Employment of Paraprofessionals in NSW Government Schools Guidelines (PDF 256.94KB).

Aboriginal Education Officers (AEOs) work in schools where significant numbers of Aboriginal students are enrolled.

They work closely with teachers to develop culturally appropriate resources and programs.

They promote Aboriginal education, encourage students and support parents.

AEOs work with teachers to assist Aboriginal students achieve their potential and keep the Aboriginal community informed of students' progress and achievements, and of things like parent meetings, school activities, new programs and other changes.

AEOs provide role models for Aboriginal students and have a positive impact on helping them achieve their potential.

Permanent Aboriginal education officers may be eligible to apply for a transfer. If an AEO matches for a transfer to a vacant AEO position at another school, the principal of that school will form a selection panel (with four persons) and arrange an interview for the AEO who has matched for the vacant position. The purpose of the interview is to assess the transfer applicant's suitability for the position in relation to meeting the needs of the local Aboriginal community.

Other supporting roles

Depending on their location and facilities, public schools need people in a huge variety of roles outside the classroom and administration offices.

Which role is right for you?

These are just some of the other support roles available in NSW public schools.

Secondary and central schools that offer agriculture on their curriculum and have an established agricultural plot may be allocated a part time (two or three days per week) farm assistant position.

The farm assistant's role varies from school to school, depending on subjects offered and school resources. Several of our high schools and central schools offer courses in agriculture, primary industries and horticulture. Some of our high schools and central schools also offer extra-curricular activities such as livestock showing.

A farm assistant's duties may include:

  • preparing and maintaining the agricultural area
  • crop production and disposal
  • machinery operation
  • maintenance of machinery, tools and equipment
  • care of livestock
  • receipt and storage of supplies
  • general farm maintenance.

General assistants are employed in all our schools to maintain school playing fields, gardens and lawns and, receipting and distributing stores. General assistants support student learning by:

  • preparing and maintaining equipment
  • preparing materials and constructing teaching aids
  • undertaking minor maintenance of building, plant and equipment
  • receiving and distributing stores and goods delivered to the school.
  • maintaining and caring for school grounds.

Operational paraprofessionals work under the guidance and supervision of a school executive, to fulfil non-classroom based roles in schools allowing more time for teachers to focus on teaching and learning activities. They are engaged in a temporary capacity and are paid during term time and non term time. They are expected to complete preparation tasks during non-teaching weeks as planned with school staff.

Detailed information regarding the employment conditions of all paraprofessionals is available in Employment of Paraprofessionals in NSW Government Schools Guidelines (PDF 256.94KB).

School counselling

As a trained school counsellor or school psychologist, you will apply your psychological expertise to support students to achieve cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual wellbeing.

Scholarships are available for suitably qualified candidates to join the school counselling workforce.

Filling vacant positions

Vacant positions in schools are filled in accordance with the provisions of the relevant awards.

Initially, existing permanent employees with priority for transfer are considered for appointment to vacant positions. If the position is not needed for the placement of an employee with priority status, the appointment of an eligible long term temporary employee may be considered for some SASS categories. Should the position remain unfilled, employees with service transfer requests are then considered. Remaining positions are advertised and filled through the merit selection process.

Find a role

Our schools welcome your application. Use our school locator to find a school which may suit you. You may wish to contact them directly to enquire about vacancies.

More information

Return to top of page Back to top