Mathematics K 6 scope and sequences
Sample scope and sequences and 3-6 daily number sense instructional sequence to support implementation of the Mathematics K-10 syllabus.
The Mathematics K-10 syllabus provides a unique opportunity for a new approach to designing scope and sequences. It encourages a more flexible approach to planning for teaching and learning.
These sample scope and sequences, and the 3-6 Daily number sense instructional sequence are optional resources that schools may adopt or adapt. They:
- represent ‘one way’ of sequencing learning to satisfy syllabus requirements
- summarise what is to be taught, the sequence in which it will taught
- identify key concepts and skills as well as the content focus for each term
- are flexible and fluid – can be adapted to reflect needs, interests and abilities of all students
- address all outcomes for each stage of learning
- leverage ‘new’ structural elements from the syllabus: focus areas and content groups
- meet requirements for compliance
- save teachers’ time by providing a strong foundation for whole-school and stage-based curriculum planning.
These samples do not represent the only way to plan for student learning. While they provide a great starting point, schools are strongly encouraged make changes to meet the learning needs of all students.
The evidence base for these resources is:
- Mathematics K-10 syllabus
- K-2 Mathematics research toolkit
- Boaler J, Munson J and Williams C (2017) What is mathematical beauty: teaching through big ideas and connections [PDF 2.4 MB], youcubed, Stanford University
- Masters and Adams (2017) The School Curriculum: about time [PDF 425 KB], Australian Council for Education Research
- NESA (NSW Education Standards Authority) (2020) Nurturing wonder and passion: Designs for a new school curriculum – NSW Curriculum Review April 2020, nswcurriculumreform.nesa.nsw.edu.au, accessed 26 August 2022.
Alignment to system priorities and/or needs
These resources clearly and explicitly align to:
- Advice on scope and sequences
- K-6 curriculum requirements
- Curriculum planning and programming assessing and reporting to parents K-12 policy
- Registration process for monitoring the government schooling system
Alignment to School Excellence Framework
These resources support the School Excellence Framework by incorporating the following domains and themes.
- Curriculum: Curriculum provision, Teaching and learning programs
- Assessment: Whole school monitoring of student learning
- Student performance measures: NAPLAN
- Effective classroom practice: Lesson planning, Explicit teaching
- Learning and development: Collaborative practice and feedback; Expertise and innovation
Educational leadership: Instructional leadership
Email questions, comments and feedback about these resources to email@example.com.