Mathematics K–6 syllabus mapping tools
The syllabus mapping tools are designed to assist with mathematics planning and programming in Kindergarten to Year 6. They include the functionality to map, record and annotate syllabus elements. These resources are quality-assured and aligned with the School Excellence Framework.
About these resources
Mathematics K–6 syllabus mapping tools:
- are optional resources for schools to customise or edit for flexible use in different school contexts
- form part of the curriculum reform support package for primary teachers
- are stand-alone resources that complement scope and sequences and units for mathematics K–6
- support teachers to monitor multiple syllabus elements when planning and programming
- support curriculum leaders with monitoring of syllabus coverage across year levels and stages.
Like any resource, syllabus mapping tools must be reviewed for suitability prior to use. Teachers should exercise professional judgement when adapting or modifying the tools to reflect their whole-school approach to mathematics and meeting their students’ learning needs.
Presented as a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel with multiple tabs for easy visualisation of syllabus information.
- Term-by-term mapping of syllabus focus areas, outcomes and content groups.
- Weekly tracking of syllabus content points separated into:
- number and algebra
- measurement and space
- statistics and probability
- Functionality to record the actual sequence of learning undertaken by a class, year-level or stage group.
- Comment or annotation function to document where deviations from the school’s scope and sequence were necessary to meet student learning needs.
How to use
Information to help you get started with using the syllabus mapping tools.
Using ‘syllabus content’ tabs
To indicate when content groups or content points are taught:
- place the cursor in the corresponding cell
- type ‘Y’
- press 'Enter' to shade the cell green.
- Mathematics Early Stage 1 syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 64 KB)
- Mathematics Stage 1 syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 92 KB)
- Mathematics K to 2 multi-age syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 121 KB)
- Mathematics Stage 2 syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 101 KB)
- Mathematics Stage 3 syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 149 KB)
- Mathematics 3–6 multi-age syllabus mapping tool (XLSX 165 KB)
Syllabus mapping tools have undergone a rigorous quality assurance process as part of our commitment to improving school support under the School Success Model. The process ensures that all resources provided to schools are relevant, of high quality, and underpinned by evidence-based practice.
Alignment to School Excellence Framework
These resources support the School Excellence Framework by incorporating the following domains and themes.
Learning culture: Transitions and continuity of learning
Wellbeing: Individual learning needs
Curriculum: Curriculum provision, Teaching and learning programs, Differentiation
Assessment: Formative assessment, Summative assessment, Whole school monitoring of student learning
Reporting: Whole school reporting, Parent engagement
Student performance measures: Student growth, Internal and external measures against syllabus standards
Data skills and use: Data literacy, Data analysis, Data use in teaching, Data use in planning.
Educational leadership: Instructional leadership
Alignment to system priorities and, or needs
These resources reflect the following existing frameworks:
- Mathematics K-10 Syllabus (2022)
- National Numeracy Learning Progressions (Version 3)
- Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- 2.2 – Content selection and organisation
- 2.3 – Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- 3.2 – Plan, structure and sequence learning programs
- 3.6 – Evaluate and improve teaching programs
- 5.1 – Assess student learning
- 5.2 – Provide feedback to students on their learning
- 5.4 – Interpret student data
- 5.5 – Report on student achievement
- 7.2 – Comply with legislative, administrative and organisational requirements
- K-6 curriculum requirements
- Curriculum planning and programming assessing and reporting to parents K-12
- Registration process for monitoring the government schooling system
- School Success Model
Resources have been refined based on findings from consultation with key stakeholder groups and tested by NSW teachers as part of the ‘Early adopter project' in 2022. Subject matter experts from Curriculum Early Years and Primary Learners team endorsed documents to ensure accuracy of content.
The evidence base for these resources is:
Email questions, comments and feedback about these resources to email@example.com using the subject line ‘Mathematics K-2 syllabus mapping tool’.