Stage based assessment
Various online stage-based assessments are available to provide teachers with feedback on student progress.
- Stage snapshots: Approximately 40 items covering some key concepts in learning Stages 2 to 4 for English and mathematics.
- Short assessments: Small sets of 5-10 items on reading, language conventions or numeracy skills in learning Stages 2 to 5.
The assessments are mapped to NSW syllabus outcomes and the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions.
Teachers can group together or modify these assessments to suit the learning needs of their students. They are easy to administer and available as Microsoft Forms, Google Forms, and PDF files.
When using Microsoft Forms or Google Forms, the student receives immediate feedback on their answers, although feedback to students can be turned off by the teacher if preferred. Teachers can use this information to inform planning and programming.
To access the assessments, please use your department email address in the following format:
The stage snapshots are diagnostic online assessments of approximately 40 items. They support teachers to analyse class strengths and areas of focus based on stage appropriate content of the NSW K-10 English and Mathematics Syllabuses.
The assessment questions range in difficulty and target likely misconceptions, to assist teachers in identifying a student’s current understanding. Teacher support booklets provide additional information, with links to syllabus outcomes, National Learning Progression indicators as well as feedback for different student responses. These snapshot assessments are designed to complement other school-based assessment practices. They can be adapted by teachers to suit their own contextual needs.
A quick reference guide (staff only) is available to support teachers in using the forms and a support document for each stage helps to analyse responses to identify misconceptions.
- Access the Stage 2 reading snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only)
- Access the Stage 3 reading snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only)
- Access the Stage 4 reading snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only).
- Access the Stage 2 numeracy snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only).
- Access the Stage 3 numeracy snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only).
- Access the Stage 4 numeracy snapshot teacher support booklet (staff only).
Short assessments are small sets of 5-10 items on a reading stimulus, language conventions or numeracy skills for Stages 2 to 5.
Watch the short video below to find out how to use short assessments.
Reading short assessments
Questions related to a stimulus text covering reading comprehension, reading processes and vocabulary.
Language conventions short assessments
Specific assessments of grammar, punctuation and spelling are included, as well as combinations of these language features.
- Language conventions quizzes - Stages 2 and 3 (staff only)
- Language conventions quizzes - Stage 4 (staff only)
Note: Some ‘spelling only’ quizzes ask students to type the incorrect word in the text correctly. Microsoft Forms does not provide a feedback option for this type of short response question.
Numeracy short assessments
Questions include opportunities for students to focus on the strategies used, as well as follow up tips for teachers.
Watch the Numeracy quiz features video.