Transition to Year 7 assessment
About the assessment
The Transition to Year 7 assessment replaces Best Start Year 7 from 2023.
The optional assessment is for individual students who did not complete Year 6 Check-in assessments in Terms 3 and 4 in 2022.
There are two assessments:
Each assessment is designed to be quick to administer, consisting of 40 multiple choice questions.
Student assessment feedback is available to teachers through Scout shortly after each assessment is submitted.
2023 assessment window
The assessment will be available on request during an extended assessment window in Term 1 (Week 3 to Week 11).
Schools have the flexibility to schedule and complete each assessment anytime during the assessment window to suit school and timetabling needs.
How do department schools participate?
- Schools review Scout transition reports to help decide whether individual students might participate in one or both assessments (that is, students who did not complete Year 6 reading and/or numeracy Check-in assessments in Terms 3 and 4 in 2022). A quick reference guide on accessing the new Scout transition report is now available.
- Schools choosing to participate complete the online opt in form.
The Transition to Year 7 assessment can be administered on the following devices; laptop, desktop PC, Chromebook, Android tablet and iPad (not iPad mini).
Headphones or earphones are required as audio files are available for various aspects of the assessments.
No locked down browser is required to administer the assessment.
- Transition to Year 7 assessment – information for schools (PDF, 73.9KB) (staff only)
- Email the Transition to Year 7 assessment team
Catholic NSW and Australian Independent Schools NSW
- Contact your sector representatives
Parents, carers and families
- If you have any questions about the assessment, please speak to your school.