Mathematics diagnostic tasks
A new Stage 2 Mathematics resource, titled Mathematics Stage 2 Diagnostic Tasks, (PDF 2284.31KB) is designed to gather evidence of student learning related to Stage 2 key ideas contained in the NSW Mathematics K-10 Syllabus. This resource may assist teachers to:
- make professional judgments about student progress,
- tailor teaching and learning experiences, and
- support students’ transition in mathematics learning between Stages 2 and 3.
Mathematics Stage 2 diagnostic tasks Adobe Connect. is a 30 minute Adobe Connect recording to familiarise and support you in using this resource. It includes information about:
- the introduction section
- how to use this resource
- ways to support students
- task considerations
- how you can access this resource
- other diagnostic tasks available.
The Numeracy skills framework website contains diagnostic assessment resources to assist teachers accurately identify the skills, knowledge and understanding of students. They are intended to be a diagnostic snapshot of the key ideas and concepts from the NSW Mathematics K–10 Syllabus.
Red dragonfly mathematics challenge provides a range of easily understood problems to challenge and stimulate student interest and reward perseverance.
Developing efficient numeracy strategies
The developing efficient numeracy strategies (DENS) resources provide teachers with ideas and activities to support the teaching and learning of numeracy.
Developing Efficient Numeracy Strategies Part 1 contains a large range of activities designed to build upon students' current methods of solving arithmetical problems. The activities support and encourage students to use efficient strategies when completing tasks.
Part 2 is divided into three booklets containing activities based on increasingly efficient counting and grouping strategies.
Developing efficient strategies Part 2: counting by ones (PDF 18.5MB) provides tasks to assist students develop strategies beyond counting-based strategies.
Developing efficient strategies Part 2: forming groups (PDF 4.8MB) contains exercises for students who no longer rely on counting-by-ones strategies and are able to apply a range of grouping strategies to solve problems.
Developing efficient strategies Part 2: coordinating groups (PDF 17.2MB) includes activities to develop students' use of collection-based strategies to solve problems.
Number and algebra resources
Fractions, Pikelets and Lamingtons (PDF 4.1MB) includes activities for students to develop a conceptual understanding of fractions. It highlights the role of equal parts and collections of parts that form new units.
Talking about Patterns and Algebra Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 (PDF 3.3MB) provides activities to assist learning and teaching about number patterns and number relationships including:
- creating and continuing number patterns
- describing, discussing and labelling patterns
- finding the specific terms of a sequence
- using symbols and operations to show equality and inequality
- applying collection-based methods to generalise
- working out unknown elements to complete number sentences.
Measurement and geometry resources
The teaching measurement resources provide practical lesson plans and ideas for the teaching of measurement in Early Stage 1 to Stage 1 and Stage 2 to Stage 3. They address length, area, volume and capacity as well as mass. The resources emphasise the knowledge of units and their structure focusing on recording, estimating and questioning.
Both resources can be downloaded in single- or double-page layouts.
- Teaching measurement Early Stage 1 to Stage 1 single layout (PDF 721KB)
- Teaching measurement Early Stage 1 to Stage 1 double layout (PDF 609KB)
- Teaching measurement Stage 2 to 3 single layout (PDF 686KB)
- Teaching measurement Stage 2 to 3 double layout (PDF 638KB)
Teaching about Angles Stage 2 (PDF 2.5MB) is a collection of practical lessons designed to assist students identify, describe and compare angles using mathematical terms.