A large collection of K-6 tasks, lessons and investigations
- targeted teaching (including number talks)
- contexts for practice.
The focus is on learning through working mathematically and highlighting ‘What is (some of) the mathematics?’
Use the task catalogue to sort through the tasks in the Thinking mathematically resource. You can apply filters and search and sort by stage, targeted teaching, number talk, context for practice as well as by mathematical focus.
- Thinking mathematically – website containing the resources
- Task catalogue (XLSX 35.5KB) – a spreadsheet catalogue that allows you to sort through all the tasks on the Thinking mathematically site.
Classroom talk is a powerful tool for both teaching and learning. Rich, dialogic talk supports students in making sense of complex ideas and builds classroom communities centred around meaning-making. 'Talk moves' are the tools used by teachers to support rich, meaningful classroom discussion in mathematics.
Posters, flashcards and a chart have been created for teachers to use in the classroom. It aims to help prompt the following:
- wait time
- turn and talk
- adding on
- revise your thinking.
- Talk moves A3 poster (PDF 125.14KB)
- Talk moves A4 poster (PDF 75.7KB)
- Talk moves flashcards (PDF 142.36KB)
- Talk moves pie chart (PDF 81.7KB).
Mathematics diagnostic tasks
Mathematics Stage 2 Diagnostic Tasks (PDF 2284.3KB) gathers evidence of student learning related to Stage 2 key ideas contained in the NSW Mathematics K-10 Syllabus. This resource may assist teachers to:
- make professional judgments about student progress,
- tailor teaching and learning experiences, and
- support students' transition in mathematics learning between Stages 2 and 3.
Mathematics Stage 2 diagnostic tasks Adobe Connect is a 30-minute Adobe Connect recording to familiarise and support you in using this resource. It includes information about:
- the introduction section
- how to use this resource
- ways to support students
- task considerations
- how you can access this resource
- other diagnostic tasks available.
Red dragonfly mathematics challenge provides a range of easily understood problems to challenge and stimulate student interest and reward perseverance.
Developing efficient numeracy strategies
The developing efficient numeracy strategies (DENS) resources provide teachers with ideas and activities to support the teaching and learning of numeracy.
Number and algebra
Fractions, Pikelets and Lamingtons (PDF 4.1MB) includes activities for students to develop a conceptual understanding of fractions. It highlights the role of equal parts and collections of parts that form new units.
Talking about Patterns and Algebra Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 (PDF 3.3MB) provides activities to assist learning and teaching about number patterns and number relationships including:
- creating and continuing number patterns
- describing, discussing and labelling patterns
- finding the specific terms of a sequence
- using symbols and operations to show equality and inequality
- applying collection-based methods to generalise
- working out unknown elements to complete number sentences.
Measurement and geometry resources
The teaching measurement resources provide practical lesson plans and ideas for the teaching of measurement in Early Stage 1 to Stage 1 and Stage 2 to Stage 3. They address length, area, volume and capacity as well as mass. The resources emphasise the knowledge of units and their structure focusing on recording, estimating and questioning.
Both resources can be downloaded in single or double-page layouts.
- Teaching measurement Early Stage 1 to Stage 1 single layout (PDF 721KB)
- Teaching measurement Stage 2 to 3 single layout (PDF 686KB)
Teaching about angles Stage 2 (PDF 2.5MB) is a collection of practical lessons designed to assist students identify, describe and compare angles using mathematical terms.