English Advanced – Year 12 – Module A – Textual conversations
Support materials were developed by NSW public school teachers as part of the Stage 6 mEsh project where 62 teachers led writing teams (over 150 teachers) across NSW.
Teacher advice – The Stage 6 phases project has been developed to support teachers in the structuring of teaching and learning activities for Stage 6 units. In the typical eight-week timeframe of a unit, a teacher may employ a range of these phases in order to meet outcomes, cover content and prepare for assessment.
The term ‘phase’ helps to focus planning by identifying the specific purpose of each section within a teaching program. The phases are closely aligned to the English textual concept ‘learning processes’ of understanding, engaging personally, connecting, engaging critically, experimenting, and reflecting. As such each phase focuses teacher and student attention onto the learning intentions of each sequence of lessons.
Each phase lesson sequence is structured as a case study utilising a module and a prescribed text. However, the teaching and learning activities within the case study could be easily adapted to any Stage 6 unit.
Teachers can adapt the following units of work as required.
Textual conversations - Hag-Seed and The Tempest
- Hag-Seed/The Tempest: Sample lesson sequence (DOCX 81KB)
- Hag-Seed/The Tempest: Sample assessment (DOCX 46KB)
- Hag-Seed/The Tempest: Annotation of Hag-Seed (DOCX 44KB)
- Hag-Seed/The Tempest: Resources (ZIP 3.3MB)
Textual conversations - Poetry of John Keats and Bright Star
- Keats/Bright Star: Sample lesson sequence (DOCX 56KB)
- Keats/Bright Star: Sample assessment (DOCX 40KB)
- Keats/Bright Star: Resources (ZIP 1.4MB)