You may be eligible for a range of State and Commonwealth Government financial assistance to help you stay in your apprenticeship or traineeship.
Travel, accommodation and relocation assistance
Apprentices and new entrant trainees may be eligible for travel and accommodation assistance if they need to travel more than 120km round trip to attend day or block release training with their registered training organisation
- Apprentices may be eligible for relocation and rental assistance if they are unemployed and need to relocate more than 60km in order to continue their apprenticeship with a new employer.
Learn more about the Travel, Accommodation and Relocation assistance package.
Travel concession card
Eligible apprentices and new entrant trainees registered in NSW are entitled to receive a Transport Concession Entitlement card. This card entitles you to an Opal Concession card and concession fares on NSW government trains, buses, most ferries and light rail within the Opal network of Sydney and surrounding areas.
With a Transport Concession Entitlement Card outside the Opal network, you pay concession fares on local bus services.
Existing worker trainees are not eligible.
Learn more about the Travel Concession Entitlement Card.
$100 rebate on car registration for apprentices
First and second year apprentices may be eligible to receive a $100 rebate on their car registration.
To be eligible for the rebate, the vehicle must be registered in NSW in the name of an eligible apprentice and due for renewal and paid after becoming an apprentice.
Find out more about the Apprentice Vehicle Registration Rebate.
Continuing Apprentices/Trainees Placement Services (CAPS)
CAPS is a NSW Government service that helps apprentices and trainees in skills shortage occupations who have lost their jobs to find an employer and complete their apprenticeships or traineeship.
Bert Evans Apprentice Scholarships
The Bert Evans Apprentice Scholarships will assist apprentices in NSW who have demonstrated:
- hardship in their personal circumstances
- aptitude for vocational education and training to lead to successfully completing their trade training
- a positive attitude and application in the workplace and in the formal training
Support from the Commonwealth Government
- Living away from home allowance
- Trade Support Loans (TSLs)
- Support for apprentices with a disability.